Director, FDA Regulatory Science and Innovation Initiative
Position Number: 118816
Posted 28 January 2013
Open until filled. For best consideration, apply by 22 March 2013.
The University of Maryland (UM) seeks a strong leader to direct and grow its regulatory science and innovation partnership with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Many of UM's programs, particularly in engineering, computer science, mathematics and natural sciences, agriculture and natural resources, public health and public policy have great relevance to the current challenges that the FDA faces in transforming itself into a "science based, science led" regulatory agency. Most notably, UM is a partner in the Joint Institute for Food Safety and Nutrition (JIFSAN) and has recently been awarded a Center for Excellence in Regulatory Science and Innovation (CERSI) with UMB. Individual scientists and engineers at FDA and UM have a long history of working together collaboratively, taking advantage of each other's expertise and resources.
The mission of the Initiative is to link these activities and foster new linkages for each within the FDA. The Initiative will foster further development of research and education programs in partnership with the FDA. The expectation is for the Initiative to propel JIFSAN, CERSI and other FDA partnerships on the campus (such as the forthcoming Robert E. Fischell Institute of Biomedical Devices) to national preeminence. The Director will actively plan and manage all facets of the Initiative's operations including the development of new applications/products, academic programs and the collaborations between faculty, researchers, students, corporate partners and government agencies.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Candidates must have an advanced degree in business, engineering or related field
- 10 years of high-level administrative/managerial experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to foster and maintain collaborations across a broad range of constituents in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to lead product road-map development, feasibility studies, market and competition analysis, company formation and operations, customer development, financial modeling, talent recruitment, fundraising from equity, debt and grant sources, and partnerships and business development.
- Must possess outstanding communication skills, must enjoy mentoring and teaching and must be adept at building and managing relationships.
- Prior experience working in a university research environment and/or with university-based start ups preferred.
- Prior experience working with technology entrepreneurs.
- Salary requirements or salary history are required on resume.
- Candidates must apply online at: jobs.umd.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=58330
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, and gender identity or expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.